latest tsl kirklees training, Events & networking
Find other free training & events
Making Every Contact Count (MECC) Skills Training
Who is the training is for?
The course is for anyone who has opportunities to chat to others about issues that affect their health and wellbeing. An important focus is on conversations relating to social and wider determinants of health, such as loneliness, poor mental health, fuel and food poverty, poor living conditions and financial debt.
The session aims to build confidence, knowledge and skills required to MECC and to provide participants with resources specific to supporting people to take better care of their health and wellbeing. Specific objectives include to:
- Enable participants to reflect on and share experiences of opportunistic conversations, particularly with people experiencing health and social inequalities
- Reflect on what they do well, what skills make for a good conversation, and highlight any challenges and areas for development
- Review principles and core skills: being person-centred; collaborative; using open questions, active listening, focussing on strengths, and helpful summaries; and working within the 3As model (Ask-Advise-Assist)
- Introduce resources that support good conversations, including basic advice and messaging on a range of topics and signposting
- Reflect on how MECC skills can be embedded into day-to-day practice.
With its strong emphasis on core communication skills, the course also provides excellent foundation-level training for staff who plan to engage in more specialist training in areas such as: domestic violence; mental health first aid; and motivational interviewing.
After completing the training, you will be able to:
- Understand the range of factors that influence residents’ health and wellbeing
- Be ready to engage residents in short conversations about these issues
- Draw on a range of talking skills that help a good conversation
- Be able to find information, tools and services to help people improve their health and wellbeing
Each session covers the following modules:
- What is MECC?
- Issues affecting people
- Good conversations
- Skill areas and practical tips
- 3As: Ask-Assist–Act
- Resources to help you
Courses are flexibly designed to cater for participants in a highly interactive online environment lasting 1.5 hours.
Mon 27th June 10:00 - 11:30 - https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/344695693097
Thurs 30th June 14:00 - 15:30 - https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/344696525587
Tues 5th July 10:30 - 12:00 - https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/344697618857
Weds 13th July 9:30 - 11:00 - https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/344698952847
Tues 19th July 15:00 - 16:30 - https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/344700176507
Mon 12th September 13:00 - 14:30 - https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/344701139387
Thurs 15th September 10:00 - 11:30 - https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/344702202567
Tues 20th September 14:00 - 15:30 - https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/344703556617
Weds 28th September 10:30 - 12:00 - https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/344706013967