TSL Kirklees manages a couple of projects under Kirklees Council’s #kirkleeswelcomes programme supporting asylum seekers and recent migrants.
This Way for English
This Way for English (TW4E) is a 12-month programme which aims to:
- engage with refugees, asylum seekers and migrants,
- complete initial assessments that explore both their English language needs and holistic and personal needs
- refer or signpost participants to appropriate provision
This may include:
- working with partners to provide ESOL courses where there is a demonstrable need, but a gap in provision
- exploring volunteering and wider learning opportunities to fill gaps and meet needs
- exploring relevant funding opportunities
Download a TW4E toolkit
Find a hub
Get in touch to find out more:
Refugees, asylum seekers, and recent migrants are often very vulnerable when they arrive in our communities. They can lack language skills, cultural knowledge and support networks which means that they can struggle to access services and integrate. The Welcome Mentor programme has been developed to offer a volunteer befriending service In Kirklees to reduce isolation and break down some of the barriers that people experience.
The TSL Migration team will recruit and train volunteers, match them with someone to work with, and give them ongoing support and training.
Download a referral form
Find out more about Welcome Mentor recruitment & training
Get in touch to find out more or to make a referral: