Whether you want to volunteer on a regular basis or now and again, there are plenty of volunteer opportunities available…
View our latest opportunities below or use the search options to find your ideal role. If you can’t find what you’re looking for or need some extra help, get in touch.
- Monday Daytime
- Monday Evening
- Tuesday Daytime
- Tuesday Evening
- Wednesday Daytime
- Wednesday Evening
- Thursday Daytime
- Thursday Evening
- Friday Daytime
- Friday Evening
- Saturday Daytime
- Saturday Evening
- Sunday Daytime
- Sunday Evening
Here at The Kirkwood we provide a range of care and support aimed at improving the lives of people affected by any life-limiting illness in our local communities. We are extremely fortunate to have the support and commitment of over 800 dedicated volunteers who work alongside staff in a variety of roles and departments. The Kirkwood Team work tirelessly to support people to improve their quality of life; remain as independent as possible; and maintain their dignity until the very end. Families and loved-ones are also supported during the illness and in bereavement.
As a Kirkwood volunteer, you will be helping us to provide care to people from your own community who are affected by a life-limiting illness. A little of your time can make a massive difference to what we can achieve! Is it your time to make a difference? We hope to hear from you soon!
In this role you will be providing help and support to adult patients with a life-limiting illness and their visitors at the in-patient unit at Albany Road in Dalton.
Tasks may include:
- Listening carefully to the individual patient information provided by the designated Volunteer Link Nurse, prior to commencing volunteering on each and every shift – this contains important information about the patient: (e.g. ‘Nil by Mouth’, monitoring of liquid intake, etc.)
- Replenishing patient water jugs; replenishing stock in the kitchen diner cupboards/fridges; offering and making drinks for patients and visitors; and replenish stocks of biscuits, cereal, milk, etc., where necessary
- Checking dates on items in the fridge and record the temperature
- Wiping down tables and taking meals to patients as required.
- Assisting patients to make telephone or Facetime calls, and/or attend virtual events on Zoom (e.g. Choir, ‘Men’s Space’ and Zumba)
- Escorting patients around The Kirkwood Gardens
- Talking with patients, getting help from the clinical team if required.
Full training is provided and as a volunteer within the Hospice you will need to follow the rules of patient confidentiality, health and safety and infection control.
Shifts available: Monday to Sunday 9.30 – 11.30, 12.00 – 13.30, 14.30 – 16.30 or 18.00- 19.30.
16 yrs and above
- Application form required
- References required
- DBS (criminal record check that the organisation will organise)