#GiveLocal in 2021
Local Charities and Community Groups Need Your Help to Support People in Lockdown
Following on from our successful #GiveLocal This Winter campaign over the festive period, we’ve decided to continue the theme with #GiveLocal in 2021 and give you some ideas of how you can support local charities, community groups and mutual aid groups, whilst staying at home and safe during lockdown.
You can still donate money, food, toiletries and other items to your local foodbank, baby bank, mutual aid group or other community group. Some are collecting stationery and old, unused devices (phones, tablets and laptops) to give to children who are homeschooling.
You could follow a local charity on social media and support a particular campaign or fundraising appeal, take part in a raffle or lottery or buy something from their online shop.
If you are donating food, toiletries, clothes or other items, please check where your nearest donation points are and whether the organisation is open and accepting donations at the moment. Please don’t just turn up or leave things outside their building. Many have collection bins in local shops and supermarkets, or outside their premises. Please also remember that, during lockdown, you should limit the number of journeys you make and shouldn’t be going out without a good reason.
Most groups are accepting donations of money online as well, or they may have an Amazon Wish List of things they need buying. Alternatively, you could choose to donate to them when you spend via Amazon (using Amazon Smile) or find a charity that you want to support via Paypal Giving and make a donation or set them as your ‘favourite’ and donate at the checkout every time you pay with PayPal.
Here are some suggestions:
- Holme Valley Foodbank
- The Welcome Centre, food bank and more, Huddersfield
- Fusion Giving Food Bank, Dewsbury
- Batley Food Bank
- Cleckheaton Food Bank
- Humanity First Food Bank, Mirfield
- Heckmondwike Foodbank
- Slaithwaite Mutual Aid Foodbank (donation point at Slaithwaite Fire Station)
- Marsden Help (donation point at Marsden Mechanics)
- Meltham Foodbank
- Holmfirth Foodbank
Baby Banks (items for babies and young children)
- West End Juniors (donations of stationery and educational items or buy from their Amazon Wish List)
- Uniform Exchange (donate school uniform, PE kit, winter coats, hats, gloves, scarves, shoes) or why not make Uniform Exchange your easy fundraising charity and raise money while you shop! Uniform Exchange Fundraising
- DASH (donate clothing, food and items for asylum seekers) or buy a cookbook that supports the work of DASH and 5 other community groups in Kirklees that are supporting local people.
- Huddersfield Mission (buy a meal or donate items for people experiencing homelessness)
- Buy from The Laura Crane Trust Ebay Shop (supporting young people with cancer)
- Buy from The Kirkwood Ebay Shop or reserve a collection slot for your unwanted items when shops reopen – call us on: 01484 557 917
- Pennine Domestic Abuse Partnership (donate money or new items to help victims of domestic abuse and their families. Donate through Amazon Smile.)
- Give… – write an uplifting letter to someone who is isolated.
- MHA – (donations of jigsaws).
- Forget Me Not Children’s Hospice – Join their book club and receive handpicked books from charity shops straight to your home.
- RSPCA Halifax, Huddersfield, Bradford & District Online – Click and collect charity shop items that are posted via their Facebook page.
- West Yorkshire Hardship Project (Donate, fundraise or volunteer your time to help those faced with or going through financial hardship).
- Clem’s Garden Kindness Fund – Donate £5 and they will pledge a jar of flowers to someone who really needs it.
Community and Mutual Aid Groups
Arts & Crafts
- Kirkwood Hospice – Organise your own ‘Bunny Hop’ event to raise money. Suitable for all ages!
- Holme Valley Mountain Rescue Team – Walk, run, bike, ride or canoe 200K in this challenge to raise vital funds.
- Hand to Mouth
- Aspire Creating Communities
- Age UK Calderdale & Kirklees