News from TSL Kirklees Members & Partners About Their Covid19 Response
Obviously there has been a lot of disruption to organisations and services this week and many are still formulating plans and working out new ways of working, however, here are a few examples of some of the great ideas and partnerships that are starting to emerge:
- Huddersfield Town Foundation have set up a campaign to continue to fund their Breakfast Clubs and local foodbanks. They have set up a COVID-19 community outreach campaign. Former team member Andy Booth, and the current players have been calling fans. They have been creating resources and competitions via their social media for people to get involved in. They have also been supporting the work of national charities and organisations such as ‘Sporting Memories’ and ‘National Football Museum’.
- KAL Leisure Trust are uploading free virtual fitness videos and employees are helping out in care homes.
- Grow to School have set up 'Growing Together Kirklees' in a bid to help support and enable isolated communities to grow food at home.
- Kumon Y'all are running English lessons (and other classes) on their Facebook page everyday.
- Northorpe Hall and Family Trust are posting wellness and craft activities everyday on their Twitter feed.
- Zakaria Masjid and Education Centre have set up a hotline for food deliveries.
- Darul Ilm Mosque in Dewsbury have teamed up with a number of organisation to become part of Dewsbury South Covid-19 Community Action Group.
- Digital Enterprise are offering virtual seminars for all organisations in the third sector. Find out if your organisation is eligible here.
- TSL Member, Denby Dale Centre Training are offering free First Aid and Health and Safety videos on Facebook.
- TSL Member, KVIN are working remotely and are offering sessions over the phone and Zoom. They are also continuing their services and providing other practical support , such as food shopping. A full list of contacts, plus daily updates can be found here.
- TSL Member, Growing Works are answering gardening and other growing-related questions on their Facebook page.
- TSL Member, Platform1 are offering meetings and sessions over Zoom.
- TSL Member, Kirklees Migration Team now have their own Facebook page for updates/news and their own Facebook group for partners/service providers.
- TSL Member, Aspire Creating Communites in partnership with TSL have set up a their OpenEars for Volunteers programme. It is a phone service dedicated to help support volunteers emotionally during this difficult time.
- TSL Member, Denby Dale Centre are delivering food and essentials, chatterbox services for those who are isolated and dog walking services.
- TSL Member, Connect Housing- are offering general community support.
- TSL Member, Local Services 2 You- are offering general community support.
- TSL Member, Marsden Mechanics- are offering general community support.
- TSL Member, More in Common- are offering general community support.
- TSL Member, Paddock Community Trust- are offering free job/work /benefit advice and support.
- TSL Member, Yorkshire Children's Centre- are offering general community support and a befriending service.
- TSL Kirklees Member, Aspire Creating Communities is supporting all the attendees of its social groups for older people with phone calls and referrals for further help and support as needed.
- TSL Kirklees Member, Shabang is sharing Makaton signing videos and fun songs for families of children with disabilities.
- Our TSL Kirklees Migration Team have been busy making videos in different language explaining the current social distancing rules, symptoms to look out for and how to get help.
- The volunteers from our Words in Mind project are keeping their bibliotherapy groups going virtually via podcasts and their Facebook page.
- TSL Kirklees Member, Nature's Footprints is delivering craft kits to local families in need.
- TSL Kirklees Member, TCD has secured funding for a new drama-based activity for those with learning and physical disabilities. They are getting ready to launch the project online.
- All the TSL Kirklees team, but in particular, Volunteering Kirklees have been working with the Council and local organisations to set up the co-ordinated community response and make sure that groups have enough volunteers and helpers. And it's working:
Can I just say in the space of 2 hours what you guys have just facilitated for our family is amazing!!... We can't THANK you enough. What you guys are all doing is awe inspiring.
Comment sent to Holme Valley COVID Mutual Aid by a family in need.
- TSL Kirklees Member, Pay As You Feel Accountants CIC (with its sister organisation Solutions Accountancy) has created a summary of the new business support packages from the Government
- TSL Kirklees Partner, Huddersfield Literature Festival has had to cancel this year's festival, but is live-streaming some of its talks and workshops
- TSL Kirklees Member, S2R is creating and sharing craft videos, mental health tips and ideas for getting outside in nature.
- TSL Kirklees Member, DASH is using new distancing measures to make sure that they can still see and support asylum seekers and refugees safely.
- TSL Kirklees Member, Fair and Funky has created a new Facebook Group sharing crafty and recycling ideas and inspiration
- And our own team at TSL is experimenting with using virtual working tools such as Microsoft Teams, Zoom and WhatsApp groups so that we can keep in touch and keep working together.